Rising early - is it all about self discipline?

It is a big task to rise early.

I wanted to start with this statement because I have been trying to do this for 3 years (and you thought you had been trying for so long) but have not got to do that though everyone else in my family is an early riser.

I came upon this post by Steve Pavlina, towards whom I look for inspiration whenever I'm feeling down. Today I have been feeling down and hopeless. Most of the people who are able to rise early would say it is matter of self discipline. I would agree with them but would not agree with them if they said it is only about self discipline.

I think it is much more. I know it is good for me and I have always felt better on days I have started work early. Therefore the motivation is also there. So what is lacking? For example the traditional plans like minimum sleep of 8 hours or 6 hours of sleep a day or sleeping at a particular time of the night so that you can get up early the next day do not work. You get derailed very easily.

How to do it - My plan for being an early riser


Though I had read about Steve's plan earlier I revisited it today. Therefore I will try to put it in practice. Steve advises to sleep at the time your body is tired and you believe you are ready to sleep but get up at a particular time. I'm going to practice getting up by 6 - then going for a walk, do some exercise (keep a log of this and this is where my Nokia E71 will help), have a bath by 8 AM, have breakfast and get to office at 9 AM.

Not that I have not tried this before but I believe I do not have an alternative other than trying it again till I succeed. The other interesting trick Steve shares is to get up instantly in the morning as soon as the alarm rings and not to mull over anything. The trick is to get up splash some water on your face and then start thinking about the day if you have to though I would prefer not to think about anything till I finish my walk and exercise.

Lets see how it goes. I will update this blog with the progress and I hope I have some successes to share. Wish me luck!

Ciao!

0 comments: