Keyboard shortcuts for Windows 7

Windows 7 as a operating system is stabler and better than the predecessor Windows Vista. I agree with those who say that Windows 7 is like Windows 98 – a great improvement than its predecessors.

After hearing Paul Thurrott’s podcast at This Week In WindowsWindows7 logo which is run by my hero Leo Laporte I have developed a keen interest in Windows shortcut key. I never understood why the Windows key is there on the keyboard till I discovered the keyboard shortcuts.

Some of the keyboard shortcuts that I use and are handy are

Windows key + tab This brings up all the windows that are open and you can cycle through them
Windows key + Space Makes the present window transparent and shows you the desktop. As soon as you release the keys the window that you were viewing shows up again.
Windows Key + down arrow If the window you are working in is maximised the window would be restored if you use the keys in combination once and if used twice the present window would be minimized to the task bar
Windows key + up arrow key The window you are working in is maximised.
Windows key + ‘+ key’ or ‘-key’ Zoom in and out
Shift + click on a window on the task bar Opens a new instance of the application
When on the desktop press control and use the mouse wheel This would increase the size of the desktop icons
Alt + Tab Cycle through the open windows
Alt + F4 Close the present item or the present window
Windows key + D Displays the Desktop
Windows Key + M Minimizes all the windows
Windows Key + shift + M Maximizes all the minimised windows
Windows Key + E Opens up my computer
Windows key + R Opens the run command
Windows Key + T Cycles through the windows on the taskbar

These are all the shortcut keys that I use regularly. Once in a while I have to brush up since I do forget to use some of the keyboard shortcuts. For me the shortcuts make me more efficient.

You can find more shortcut keys on the Microsoft site here.

If you use shortcut keys when working in Windows please share them.

Technorati Tags: ,,

0 comments: